All the massages we offer have holistic and Swedish massage as their base. So, what are these two types of massage therapy?
Swedish massage is the most well-known type of massage. It is based on long, gliding strokes, kneading of the muscles and varied pressure. Swedish massage has an interesting history. Often incorrectly attributed to a Swedish man for its development, it was actually a Dutch doctor Johann Georg Mezger who did. Using his medical knowledge, he created a system based on the five techniques that make up Swedish massage.
- Effleurage – long, sweeping strokes
- Petrissage – muscles are kneaded
- Friction – circular motions using firm pressure
- Tapotement – Tapping or percussive movements
- Vibration – certain muscles are shaken to help release tension and tightness
Holistic massage incorporates both physical and psychological health. Holistic is a whole mind, body and spirit approach, which focuses on the whole person not just the symptom or condition. Massage can be used for relaxation, stimulation or rehabilitation of the whole body or part of it.